Monday, August 10, 2009

Jessup History

It is not known exactly when Thomas Jessup moved from Perquimans Co., North Carolina to
Orange Co., North Carolina (which later included Guilford Co.) He and his family cared for many of the soldiers wounded at the Battle of Guilford Court House during the American Revolution and he is credited as a D. A. R. Ancestor as a result of this public service. His farm was used for Cornwallis' headquarters during the Revolutionary War. Many of the battles of Guilford Court House were fought on his land. Their youngest son, Jonathan helped carry the wounded from both sides of the battle field to the Jessup House for care and treatment. The D.A.R. has accredited Thomas with "Patriotic Service" for his part in the mission of mercy. Cornwallis lost 30% of his troops and had to move his weakened force on to Wilmington and then to Yorktown for eventual surrender. The hardships to this Quaker neighborhood were devastating. Both General Greene and General Cornwallis stripped the land of all its livestock, produce and resource. it has been said Cornwallis was forced to leave the are and move to his defeat with Greene in pursuit because the land could no longer support him.
This information was found in "The Ancestry of Allen Grinnell Cleaver and Martha Irene Jessup" compiled by William Jessup Cleaver and published by Gateway Press, Inc. of Baltimore, MD.

Less than a month before his death, Thomas made a will that revealed he had amassed considerable land and had become quite prosperous

WILL OF THOMAS JESSUP
I, Thomas Jessup, of Guilford County in North Carolina, planter, being of sound mind and memory, do make and ordain this my last Will and Testament in manner and form following:
Imprimis: My will is that all my just debts and funeral charges be paid and discharged in due time.
Item: I give to my beloved wife, Ann Jessop, the use and profits of the plantation I now live upon (except the part of it which I give to my son, Jacob, which was run off by Jesse Williams), with all the cattle and sheep that are thereon, and what cattle I have at Tom's Creek now in possession of my son, Joseph Jessop: also all my household furniture which remains unmentioned in this will, and ploughing gears, and all other utensils that are now on my plantation for tilling the ground, during her widowhood or till my son, Jonathan Jessop comes of age, then only one-half the profits during her widowhood; also, I give unto her the horse, Dick, one feather bed and furniture, and the lawful interest on thirty pounds during her life.
Item: I give unto my son, Joseph Jessop, my bald eagle mare, shoemaker's tools, beaver hat, curry knife, a pair of new boots, razor and strap and a piece of cloth sent for by William Wilson.
Item: I give unto my son, Thomas Jessop, seventy pounds specie.
Item: I give unto my sons, Timothy Jessop, Caleb Jessop and William Jessop and my daughter Mary Hussey, each of them five shillings.
Item: I give unto my son, Jacob Jessop, that end of my land which he now lives on to the line which was run by Jesse Williams, to him, his heirs and assigns forever.
Item: I give unto my son, Jonathan Jessop, all the remaining part of my plantation and land whereon I now live, with all thereunto belonging, except one-half the profits which I have reserved for my wife during her widowhood, to him, his heirs and assigns forever.
Item: I give unto my daughter, Sarah Jessop, five shillings.
Item: I give unto my daughters Hannah and Ann Jessop each of them a feather bed, and furniture and at the age of eighteen or marriage, twenty-five pounds each.
Item: I give unto my sons, Timothy and William all my carpenter's and coopers' tools.
Item: I give unto my son, Jonathan Jessop, my blazed-face mare, with all the remaining part of my stock
Item: I give unto my sons, Joseph, Thomas, Timothy, Caleb, Willliam and Jacob all the remaining part of my wearing apparel, to be equally divided amongst them.
Item: I give all the remaining part of my estate, of whatever name or nature unto my seven sons and one daughter, namely: Joseph, Thomas, Timothy, Caleb, William, Jacob, Jonathan and my daughter, Mary Hussey, to be equally divided amongst them. And it is my will that if either of my youngest daughters, Hannah or Ann Jessop, die without heirs, the survivor have the deceased's legacy; and if both of them die with heirs, that my son Jonathan have their legacies; and if my son Jonathan die in his minority or without heirs, that my son Joseph's eldest son, Jacob, have the land which I have willed to my son, Jonathan, and the remaining part of his legacy to be divided amongst all my children before named, except Sarah. And if my grandson Jacob Jessop, above named, should die in his minority or with heirs, that the land herein directed be divided amongst all my children before name, except Sarah.
I have made my friend William Wilson my attorney to sell my lands in Chowan and Perquimans Counties and it is my will that at the decease of my wife the household stuff then remaining be equally divided between my two daughters, Hannah and Ann.
Lastly, I do make and constitute my beloved son, Joseph Jessop, and my friend, William Coffin, Jr., joint executors of this my last will and testament.
In witness whereof I have hereunto set my hand and seal this 20th day of the eleventh month, in the year of our Lord one thousand seven hundred and eight-three.
Thomas Jessop
Signed, sealed, published and pronounced by the said Thomas Jessop as his last will and testament, in the presence of us, who in his presence, and in the presence of each other, have hereunto subscribed our names: Christopher Hiatt, William Baldwin, Joshua Dix

No comments:

Post a Comment